Mehran university of Engineering and technology has got the privilege to establish the Biomedical Engineering Department for the first time in the history of all Public sector universities of Pakistan.Technological innovation in the field of medicine and health care is accelerating at enormous pace. Modern hospital is now the center of a technologically sophisticated healthcare system; and this requires technologically sophisticated.
Keeping in view the tremendous growth of Biomedical Sector and Tele-Medicine in the country, there is great scope and consumption of Biomedical Engineers, Experts and Solution Providers; therefore in year 2003 MUET started the program to produce graduates exclusively in Engineering by bifurcating the Electronic Department. Biomedical engineering uses engineering principles to enable us to understand, modify or control biological systems.
In practice, it involves everything from equipment for diagnosis and patient monitoring through implants such as pacemakers, artificial joints and limbs to the computer simulation of biological functions. All these modern aids to healthcare have to be conceived, designed, tested, manufactured, installed, operated, maintained and improved. This is the job of Biomedical engineers. The world market for all biomedial devices, including diagnostic and therapeutic equipment, is in the range of $ 100 billion/year. It is destined to grow even further, especially in areas that have aging populations. Biomedical engineers will be of increasing importance to this growth. It is an inter-disciplinary and applied branch of electronic engineering, which also requires a working knowledge such as physiology,Human anatomy and biological sciences.
The department would like to augment its existing programs to produce the high quality Biomedical Personnel in various specialized areas such as Tele-Medicine, Medical Imaging & Artificial Organ designing under the establishment of Biomedical Engineering.
- To produce quality graduates in the field of Biomedical Engineering.
- To produce high quality Biomedical professionals and skilled manpower for R&D organizations and research institution in various specialized and emerging areas.
- To offer various programs of higher studies for up-gradation of faculty members
- To offer newly approved Master of Engineering degree program in the field of 'Biomedical Engineering'
- To offer research facilities in the field of Telemedicine, Robotics and Biomedical Instrumentation